Friday 25 February 2011

Liverpool Biennial 2010


This is becoming a little ridiculous now, I am all over the place with my posts! Back in October (!) we took a trip across to Liverpool, to see their annual Biennial - one of the largest contemporary art events in the UK. "The sixth edition of Liverpool Biennial’s International Exhibition was Touched - Consisting of around 40 new projects by leading and emerging international artists. Principally new commissions as well as several key works previously unseen in the UK, Touched was presented across multiple venues: Tate Liverpool, the Bluecoat, FACT (Foundation for Art & Creative Technology), A Foundation and Open Eye Gallery, with half the exhibition sited in public spaces across the city."

Although there were numerous events and varying locations across the city, I unfortunately was only able to see the exhibition "The Cooperative" at the Old Paint Shop. I really didn't know what to expect when walking up to the exhibition space, but when I was confronted with a woman sat in one of the windows in nothing but her underwear and with the slogan "Make Belive" painted across her stomach (I am not entirely sure whether this was a deliberate spelling mistake or not) it was clear this wasn't going to be your run-of-the-mill art exhibitions.


The event has been promoted as one of the most exciting exhbitions in the UK, yet I really didn't feel that it was as good as it was being promoted to be. The work on display was supposed to "touch" you; in various different ways. However, a lot of it was extremely distasteful and definitely not for young eyes. I agree that it affected us as viewers by shocking and making us feel uncomfortable, but I struggled to define whether this was successful in a good way or not. It didn't leave me feeling very inspired and I feel this may be the reason it has taken me so long to write this visit up.

Some of the pieces were quite interactive - which did add to the experience - albeit not greatly. For instance I enjoyed the Rosa Barba display, titled Free Post Mersey Tunnels because as you walked through it sounds of the Liverpool underground were heard through a labyrinth of intricate pipes, giving a really atmospheric effect. It was quite visually beautiful too; stark and industrial but very intriguing. I also quite liked NS Harsha's installation; a room with a mirrored ceiling that reflected a sea of faces staring back at you from the floor - which created a very strange sensation of being watched.



Though it may be missing the point of the visit slightly, I was far more taken in by the old signage that was still existing in and around the building that hosted the works. They gave glimpses of what the location used to be, I am really sad I only got one photo. It doesn't show the extent of some of the lovely old typography that was printed on walls and signs. There was also some beautiful wallpaper remnants that had been left on odd walls here and there. It was a really lovely location, it is such a shame that this was all I could really comment positively on!


No comments: