Saturday 27 March 2010

Unfold.


During my Book Binding workshops, we were set a brief to create an edition of 10 single-sheet structures. I chose my book structures to be beak-books, and I wanted to incorporate the idea of the structure into my concept.

With this I began looking at words, and how they can be manipulated to be illegible. I started with the word "unfold", reducing the letter spacing so that only an intriguing symbol made up of the layered letters was visible. I gradually unfolded the type to reveal the actual word, and this journey is portrayed when turning the pages of the book. I repeated this process with variants of the word "unfold", such as "reveal" and "evolve".


The book itself evolves - it's pages turn, it opens, it closes, the shape and structure of the book changes and it unfolds to form a single sheet. I will look further into this by exploring different definitions and ways of presenting the type on the page.

2 comments:

Amy Minto said...

I love these Gemma!

Unknown said...

thank you Amy :)