Monday 22 March 2010

work (and play)

Alan Fletcher: Fifty Years of Graphic Work (and play).

A month or so ago, an exhibition of Alan Fletcher's work was displayed at the Cube gallery in Manchester.


Alan Fletcher is one of the most prolific graphic designers of our time and his legacy continues to influence global trends in graphic design. The exhibition, which I visited one cold and gloomy day, included original sketches, posters, objects and archive footage celebrating fifty years of the designer's work.





I found the exhibition to be really stimulating; a vast amount of his work is exactly the style/s that I find inspire me most. I had seen a lot of his work before, but had forgotten the impact it had and still holds. I particularly enjoyed his collage-style pieces that incorporated witty puns. This is a technique that I keep on referencing in my work. I can't describe why I love it so much but I find it so inspiring.




No comments: